Monday, July 9, 2012

Smoke'm If you Got'm

Spent the day in the garage shooting with the make shift studio. Water drops and smoke trails.
Started out shooting water drops, pans of water, plastic bags, koolade that was all an interesting time. But this is what I really couldn't wait to get to. I haven't shot smoke trails before so after watching a view You Tube videos on the subject I decided to go for the gusto.
First step was to go to the local smoke shop and pick up some incense and a holder. When I picked a few that I thought were good the store owner said "Oh these are very nice and they have very little smoke to them". I told her "no,no,no I need the ones with a lot of smoke". She looked at in an odd way and asked why. I told her for a photography project and she pointed me in the right direction. $3.75 out the door (How cool is that)
The set up is pretty simple:
Black Back drop, Desk Lamp, Flash gun, remote flash release, tripod, Incense and of course camera.
Put up your black cloth background, set incense in the middle, on one end you put the desk lamp and point it where the smoke is going to be, the other end you put the flash. You stand in the middle, light the incense and shoot away.
Here are my settings that don't change for the entire shoot:
Flash set to manual 1/2 power
Camera settings: 1/200 of a second (Just below sink speed), ISO 100, F/11

I shot many a shot with just smoke but I really like this showing the incense, holder with the silhouetted light.

This is pretty much right out of camera.
>Adjustment layer of Levels for contrast
>Cropped, Framed and Sized for posting

No comments:

Post a Comment