Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sees The Moment

Cesar, a friend of mine has asked me many a time to get some shots of him surfing. Last week was finally a day to get out and give it a shot. He picked me up at 5:45am and we headed on out to Newport Beach. The waves were great but the skies were overcast. It created some even light but little in contrast of water and sky. Also early in the shooting while the sun is coming up you have to shoot in higher ISO's to get the right Shutter speed to freeze the action.
Personally I like the way the ocean looks in this shot with the foam and frozen splashes of water.
I used a 70-200L with a 2X extender. The 70-200 does not have IS (Image Stabilization) so I shot from a tripod the entire time.
The other thing of note is the way Cesar surfs I needed to shoot at an angle. So I constantly needed to move to shoot Cesar at a 45 degree angle other wise all the shots would have been of his back.
By the way all the surfers out there look alike. All in Black wet suits bobbing up and down on the water...so keep an eye on the person you are trying to shoot. One blink of an eye and they blend into everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment